Galceran Auto Electric wants to give you some helpful automotive information. If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to Contact Us.
- Want to improve your gas mileage? Here are some helpful tips.
- Avoid using the A/C on short trips. For highway driving, it is more efficient to use the A/C based on vehicle aerodynamics with the windows up.
- Take advantage of cruise control on highways to maintain a consistent speed and save gas.
- Avoid excessive idling. Cars with larger engines typically waste more gas.
- Avoid revving a cold engine to warm it up.
- Avoid topping off the gas tank. In warm weather, fuel can expand, causing an overflow.
- Here's a 10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup that can pay off.
- Check all fluids. There are several fluids, in addition to antifreeze, that require attention, including engine oil, powering steering, brake and transmission fluids and windshield washer solvent.
- Check hoses and belts. A belt that fails can affect the electrical system, air conditioning and power steering, as well as the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires. Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
- Should you use Antifreeze or can you just use water in the radiator?
- Your car's engine makes enough heat to destroy itself so a cooling system is needed. Antifreeze mixed with water at a 50/50 ratio provides freeze and boiling protection. Too much antifreeze can cause heat transfer problems which can result in overheating. If you experience overheating, turn the A/C off and the heater on to help remove heat from the coolant. If the engine temperature light comes on or the gauge goes into the red zone, the engine should be turned off quickly and allowed to cool down to avoid costly engine damage. Plain water will start a rust process that is almost impossible to stop. Rust particles deteriorate the entire cooling system, water pump, radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc.